RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT (R&D) DEPARTMENT
The Research and Development Department is one of the ten departments in the National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA) Nigeria, Ondo state. The department comprises of three units made up of academic and non-academic staff saddled with the responsibility of breaking new grounds in education research and providing innovative ideas for all tiers of the education sector in Nigeria.
The department also serves as research consultant to the Training and ICT departments amongst others within the Institute by providing analytic support for planning and management, conducting training needs assessment studies, programme effectiveness studies, tracer studies among others. The department develops instruments, analyze, interpret and transform data and also disseminate information through contemporary modes of communication. Aside her academic functions, the department also conduct non-academic assessments which include participant’s involvement studies, marketing studies etc. We can call the research and development department the core of the Institute.
Statement of core value
To ensure that the Institute’s community and education sector in general are well informed with reliable information so that they can carry out their mission more efficiently and effectively.
To develop robust research agenda that will inform training activities and also inform policy makers and other relevant stakeholders on issues affecting planning and management of education system.
To provide education sector planners and managers with appropriate evidence-based information that will help in running an efficient and effective education system.
Functions of the Department
- Provides analytical support for the Institute’s planning, management and assessment of training programmes.
- Develops research grant proposals for accessing funds.
- Conducts training needs assessment studies, programme effectiveness studies, tracer studies among others.
- Responds to data on request (e.g. ad hoc data), analysis and interpretation of data.
- Conduct course participants survey (e.g. survey of alumni population and sample).
- Performs qualitative data analysis.
- Serves Training and ICT departments among others within the Institute as research consultant.
- Collaborates with Training Department through instrument development, analysis and interpretation (e.g. assessment of training).
- Supports Departments and units going through review.
- Provides support for continuous improvement of assessment and activities.
- Collects and disseminate data from national, states, local and government agencies/parastatals.
- Provide for data needs of the various zonal/state liaison offices.
- Partners with other departments and units in collecting, analysing, interpreting and reporting data.
- Conducts non academic assessment (e.g. participants involvement studies, marketing studies).
- Maintains historical data for trends and analysis.
- Communicates central information about the Institute to the Director-General to support Institute’s planning, management and assessment.
- Reports Institute’s data pertaining to course participants and characteristics.
- Transforms data into information by increasing accessibility and understanding of information about the Institute through the World Wide Web (www.niepa.net) i.e. our official web site.
- Prepares and circulates Institute’s studies such as academic assessment, participants enrolment, comparative studies using peer institutions.
- Serves as research consultants and assist in interpretation and analysis of Institute statistical information by participating in internal/external committees and to guide appropriate use and interpretation of comparative data.
- Circulate accurate and reliable information on NIEPA and its operations through JCCE, NCE and other relevant forum.
- Carries out Institute and public service programmes related to research service.
- Compiles research abstracts etc.
Units within the Departments
The department is made up of three (3) units namely:
- Empirical Studies/ Project Development
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Appraisal And Packaging/ Statistics & Support Services
The following are the direct and indirect clients of the department
- Federal Ministry of Education
- State Ministries of Education
- State Universal Basic Education Boards (SUBEBs)
- Parastatals: NUC, NBTE, NCCE, UBEC, TESCOM/PPSMB etc.
- Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education
- Local Government Education Authorities (LGEAs)
- Private institutions
- Development Partners (International Development Partners)
- Non-governmental organization
- Other agencies involved in education
- Researchers at all levels
- Quality Control Officers/Quality Assurance Officers/Inspectors of Schools/Supervisors of Schools
- Provides action research to inform policy in education sector
- Provides guidance in proposal development and writing.
- Provides templates and guidance for proposal components.
- Assist researchers to identify foundations and funding.
- Proposal facilitation and dissemination
- Training needs assessment for:
- school level managers and planners of nomadic and migrant fishermen education
- education planners and managers in FME and SMoEs
- education supervisors and quality assurance officers in FME and SMoEs
- conducting impact evaluation of application and utilization of knowledge and skills acquired by school level managers and planners
- capacity building of researchers on proposal writing to attract research grants .
- investigating the effect of insecurity and challenges in the education sector
- conducting researches to identify capacity gaps among early childhood caregivers in Nigeria
- demand – driving researches that inform policy and practice